All about Pugs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ada's training has stalled

4 posters

Go down

Ada's training has stalled Empty Re: Ada's training has stalled

Post  PUGLUCKY Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:12 pm

First off with LP you would notice more symptoms before sitting would be difficult, IE limping, lifting, yelping ect.

Have you tried a clicker?

You can pick them up at any pet supply for a few dollars. Start by "conditioning" her to the sound of the clicker by just clicking it at random times and giving her a treat immediately after.

Continue with the commands she knows followed by the click and then a treat, then move on to a series of commands IE sit - click, down - click, stay - click and then treat.

Then you can phase out the treat but still give immediate gratification.
PUGLUCKY
PUGLUCKY
Admin

http://www.swonpugrescue.com

Back to top Go down

Post  2pugseniors Sat Sep 19, 2009 6:17 pm

Hi Anna,

I think your assumption might be a highly intuitive one for sure!
IF Ada has not transitioned then she is holding out for a reason.
Perhaps she holds out due to pain or it might be just to hard for her to sit with a patella problem and it could be that she does not want to try due to it or something else,
but it does make sense since she does sit well and take a command for other things Smile Smile
Check this out with your Vet next visit and keep us posted Wink
And yes, you are definitely knowledgable in the training dept Very Happy
Lori Smile
2pugseniors
2pugseniors

Back to top Go down

Post  Menageriemom Sat Sep 19, 2009 3:05 pm

Sigh. Yeah, we've tried both of those suggestions.... for a year. Our routine is on the walks every day both dogs must sit at every corner and crosswalk and before they meet anyone. So this has given us a lot of opportunities to practice everyday. Darwin has been transitioned to the point where he'll sit without asking or with a gentle signal with the lead. Ada will sit like an angel, if she gets a treat and can see that treat before she sits. We just can't seem to transition PAST this point though to getting her to sit without a payoff. We managed all kinds of training with Darwin, so we have experience. He's done puppy, intermediate and advanced training and can sit, lie down, take a bow, crawl, dance, spin, shake a paw, high five. And the weird thing, Ada knows how to shake a paw and is happy to do it without a treat being offered, but not sit!

I have been curious about one of her back knees for awhile and our vet is suspicious she might have a grade 1- 2 LP so I am wondering if this contributes to the lack of sitting.
Menageriemom
Menageriemom
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  2pugseniors Sat Sep 19, 2009 2:44 pm

LOL!! I agree with Deb, Anna!

We are just as stubborn as them Wink
That is why they make such great companions Wink

Be stubborn and hold out on her!
OR if Dar is one that will do what is asked and when it is asked (although this is a bit on the mean side) BUT make Darwin sit and give him the treat, then turn to Ada and give the command, if she does not comply, say "no sit, no treat" and put the treat where she can see it but can't get at it Wink
They know, boy do they know!
In about 20 mins or so try again and keep this routine up until she gives.
Ada will soon learn no action no treat and that is the way of it LOL!

BE STUBBORN TOO!
Wink

afterall "who's the boss" Very Happy

Lori Smile
2pugseniors
2pugseniors

Back to top Go down

Post  pugging along Sat Sep 19, 2009 11:17 am

Offer the treat, but she only gets it IF she SITS, that's it! Even if you both have to wait, then so be it. It may take time and a few practices, but it'll work. The vet ONLY gives a cookie if they sit, even our old man will do it since he's SO desperate to eat that cookie! Pugs and food...!
lol!
pugging along
pugging along

Back to top Go down

Post  Menageriemom Fri Sep 18, 2009 6:56 pm

We have tried both fake outs - with treat and without and she is on to both. Too smart for us. She is totally No Treat -No Sit. I think that we may just have to admit defeat.
Menageriemom
Menageriemom
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  2pugseniors Fri Sep 18, 2009 6:02 pm

He he he, little Ada! Silly goil Wink

Guess we know who wears the fur in your home, Anna Wink

Not sure what to say about that one as I was going to suggest a fake out too!

hmmm, the fake out, do you actually show Ada the treat or is your hand held in such a way as to seem like there is a treat, but not really?? Not sure how to describe it but that is aobut as good as I can come to it??

I willthink aobut this one though and let you know if I can come up with anything Very Happy

Lori Smile
2pugseniors
2pugseniors

Back to top Go down

Ada's training has stalled Empty Ada's training has stalled

Post  Menageriemom Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:13 pm

We seem to have hit a training plateau with the Adadog. She KNOWS what we want her to do, BUT she won't do it without a treat. We've tried to slowly phase the treats out, like we did with Darwin but it isn't working. She is so stubborn and greedy that it's still "no treat, no sit" with her.

Any suggestions? And a fake-out doesn't work, she KNOWS if there aren't treats. Laughing
Menageriemom
Menageriemom
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down