All about Pugs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Not Pug Training however................

3 posters

Go down

Not Pug Training however................ Empty Re: Not Pug Training however................

Post  2pugseniors Mon Oct 19, 2009 1:49 am

Wow! what a wonderful story and such a sweet boy Smile

Glad to hear that someone is training their children the right way to approach Smile

L Smile
2pugseniors
2pugseniors

Back to top Go down

Not Pug Training however................ Empty Re: Not Pug Training however................

Post  Menageriemom Sat Oct 17, 2009 7:07 pm

I feel the same way. Whenever I see kids who have been taught, or are being taught, how to properly interact with strange animals I want to cheer and give them a parade!

There was a little boy in my old neighbourhood who asked to meet Darwin and Ada on a walk and it was wonderful. He stopped a little distance away, asked if he could meet them, then instead of rushing forward he crouched where he was and extended a hand for them to come forward and sniff, then he stroked their shoulders gently, accepted Darwin's kisses, got up, said Thanks, and walked away. It was wonderful, calm and gentle and very positive for everyone. Ada wasn't even afraid, just a tiny bit wary at first. If his parents had been nearby I would have given them a prize.
Menageriemom
Menageriemom
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Nancgn Sat Oct 17, 2009 7:00 pm

Poor Ada!! How do you explain to a dog that it's not their fault when a child (or an adult) acts stupidly around them? I know Lucy can be a wee bit shy around children...she prefers to go up to them, rather than them rush to her. I'm always so pleased when I meet parents that are teaching their children to respect, and to be gentle, and quiet around animals....I almost want to thank them!!

Nancgn

Back to top Go down

Post  Menageriemom Sat Oct 17, 2009 5:59 pm

Boy do I know a lot of kids who could use THAT class. Be a tree! Don't jump around waving your arms and yelling like a deranged gnome in front of strange dogs!
A little girl at the dog park started stomping and yelling at Ada, thinking it was funny how she cowered away. Ada was terrified and the kids mother did nothing. I stopped her and I was VERY proud of myself for NOT strangling her for scaring a tiny, defenseless dog. And the mother was clueless to what the problem was. One day that kid will do that to the wrong dog and get bitten, and the dog will be blamed. Mad
And the worst part? It set back Ada's socialization by MONTHS. Now she's afraid to go near kids again. grrrr!
Menageriemom
Menageriemom
Admin

Back to top Go down

Not Pug Training however................ Empty Not Pug Training however................

Post  2pugseniors Wed Oct 14, 2009 5:39 am

Be a Tree: A Dog Bite Prevention Program for School-Aged Children, Sunday November 15, 2009 @ 1:00 p.m. at the London Regional Children's Museum

A free seminar taught by a licensed presenter that teaches school aged children how to recognize body language in dogs and how to act safely around their own dog and strange dogs. A fun and interactive seminar for everyone! Each child will receive a certificate they can take home personalized with their name!

Please register to secure your spot through the London Regional Children's Museum, www.londonchildrensmuseum.ca or 519-434-5726
2pugseniors
2pugseniors

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down